Friday, June 10, 2011

Brazilian Bikini Waxing – Legally Stripping

Brazilian Waxing started back in 1987. It is very famous and trendy hair removal method with origin in Brazil. It was introduced to the Western world when seven Brazilian sisters – Jocely, Jonice, Joyce, Janea, Jussara, Juracy, and Judseia Padilha) opened a Brazilian hair removal studio in Manhattan, New York. Brazilian wax or also called Brazilian bikini waxing, caused a real hype in the United States and the rest of the western world. In the beginning, only a small group of women started to love Brazilian waxing to remove hair in the bikini area, but soon a lot of famous Hollywood stars like Gwyneth Paltrow and others tried the Brazilian bikini wax and fell in love. Compared to other traditional hair removal methods, the Brazilian bikini wax is very effective, clean and durable.


Now that history is told, here is my story. As I slowly walked up the stairs on my wobbly knees (no kidding), my heart started palpating faster. If you were to ask me which is worst; my first Pap smear at the gynecologist or the Brazilian wax, the latter wins hands down. For a person who has a low threshold of pain, (I haven’t even gotten my ears pierced) this would be THE experience that I’d never, ever forget in my entire womanhood. I have no idea what on earth made me agree to this, but now that I’m here, there’s no turning back. So, I’m going to put up a brave front and face it like a warrior princess, ready to burn the forest bare.


Before I get into the nitty gritty details of the Brazilian wax, here are some precautions you may need to take, especially if you’re a first timer, like me. First, you must be sure that you want to get a Brazilian wax. If you’re not too adventurous, you may want to consider a Bikini wax, which will only remove the hair from your bikini line. A Brazilian wax removes ALL your pubic hair.


I’d suggest you to get your first Brazilian wax by a professional. Some of my friends who tried to give themselves a Brazilian wax, ended up causing damage and their bikini area looks worse after that. You wouldn’t want that, do you?


Check out the salon that does Brazilian waxing beforehand to make sure it is hygienic and that the aesthetician is licensed. The license is normally displayed. After locating a salon, make sure that the persons who are responsible for the Brazilian bikini wax are experienced. Best if you get a friend’s recommendation. Make sure your appointment is at least one week after a period so the skin is not so sensitive. Make sure the hair is trimmed to about 1/8th of an inch. It should be free from oils and lotion to make hair removal easier.


Remember not to do your Brazilian wax when you’re having your period, or when you’re not feeling well. It is advisable to take a warm shower and clean your pubic area before your Brazilian wax.


Ok, back to my story. Upon my arrival, I was ushered into a separate room with a curtain and a door (maybe to protect screaming clients from being heard by the outside world). The therapist then told me to change and lie on a bed. Minutes later, she came in and lifted my left knees to one side, while leaving the other side straight. At that moment, I really feel like racing out of the room.


Now, this is what usually happens to anyone who goes for a Brazilian wax (not sure if the same applies for the other forms of waxing). Once the therapist is ready, she will trim down your pubic hair with scissors to a length of about a quarter inch. This is when the real thing starts – waxing. The therapist will use a low temperature wax to cause less pain. She will then apply a cloth strip over the still warm wax, pressing firmly so the cloth, hair and wax adhere to one another.


Before my therapist proceeded, she asked me to breathe in and breathe out. She said it will help lessen the pain. Immediately, I breathed in as hard as I could, and as I breathed out, I heard “Zaaaap!” I screamed so loud I thought the curtains would tear and the door would break. Thankfully, I held a towel at my mouth. I asked for one so that I could scream into it when the pain is unbearable. This, my friend, is the most painful part. The therapist mentioned that it is usually more painful for first timers. But if your therapist is skillful, the pain will recede quite quickly. If you feel it takes too long or that the pain is unbearable, just tell the therapist that you need a little rest. The following process was the same when she lifted the other side of my leg and laid the other side straight. Once the front is complete, I was told to turn to the back. Don’t worry, this isn’t painful at all.


When the waxing is done, a soothing lotion should be applied to the pubic area. I was given a lotion mixed with aloe vera and chamomile after the whole ordeal. It is to soften and soothe your skin after all the pulling and stripping.


My therapist left me with a list of aftercare waxing treatments. These are some of the things you need to do for the next 24 hours:


* No hot bath or shower.


* Avoid sunbathing.


* Avoid heat or ultraviolet treatments such as sun beds and saunas.


* Avoid tight clothing.


* Avoid the use of perfumed products.


* Do not rub or touch the area. Empty follicles provide a route for bacteria invasion.


* Avoid deodorant or antiperspirant.


* Avoid using self-tanning products and makeup.


* Avoid bathing in the swimming pool or in the sea.


* Do not scrub the area.


I was also give a cream called the Xed-out cream, which needs to be applied once a day in the evening (after 3 days of the treatment for 2 weeks) to prevent/treat ingrown hairs. If you suffer from ingrown hairs, you should exfoliate your skin every 4-7 days, starting 3 days after the treatments.


With that paper in hand, I walked out feeling sexier than ever.


So, was the pain all worth it? You bet it was! Will there be another time? You bet there will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment