Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Reader Health Dilemma: "Help, I'm Stressed About My Wedding! Should I Take a Valium on My Big Day?"

In the past, we've helped readers solve health issues--big and small--here on Vitamin G (remember the woman who was afraid to visit the gynecologist?!). Now, let's help a reader in California who says she's so nervous about her wedding, that she wants to take a sedative to keep her anxiety at bay ...


(Side note: Have you guys seen Glamour's new wedding blog, Save the Date? I'm an old married gal (8 years and counting!), but I have to admit, I'm still ga-ga for weddings, so much so that I'm already addicted to this blog. Would I love to go dress shopping again? Yes! Would I like to plan another wedding? No! But it's still fun living vicariously through those who are!)


Anywho, there's no way around it, weddings are often stressful (understatement of the century, huh?). Some of us handle the stress better than others. And Julia* a Vitamin G reader in San Carlos, California, wrote me to confess that she's thinking about taking some prescription medication on the day of her wedding to calm her nerves.


"I don't get along with my soon-to-be mother-in-law," she writes, "and there are going to be so many family issues that day--like my parents who are divorced and forced to sit near each other at the wedding and I just want everyone to be happy and have a good time, but mostly I don't want to have an anxiety attack. I've had them before, and I'm scared. Should I take something? Valium? Xanax? Something else?"


Of course, as you guys know, I am not a doctor, so I will not even begin to dispense medication advice here, but on a health and wellness level, I will tell Julia (and any of you other brides to be) this: Taking something for anxiety is not a cop out. We all have different challenges, and you should not feel guilty for yours! (Stigmas around mental illness and anxiety issues is a big pet peeve of mine!)


I say that it's totally normal to feel nervous about your wedding day. It's very common for brides (and grooms) to have a case of performance anxiety, so to speak, before their wedding. My advice to Julia: Make an appointment to see your doctor and get the full scoop on any and all such meds before taking them on your wedding day. True, there may be a medication that can help you manage your nerves on the big day, but I also have concerns about you taking the right one. What's worse than having an anxiety attack on your wedding day? Um, not remembering your wedding day! You want something that's going to deal with your anxiety without making you fall asleep at the alter! Bottom line: Talk to your doc about your concerns and needs, make an educated and safe choice, and don't feel guilty.


Big hug to you, my dear! Sending you calm and zen vibes for your big day.


P.S. Here's what I do before a stressful event and it always calms my nerves. Try it!


Have you considered taking meds (or did you take them) to calm your nerves on your wedding day?

No comments:

Post a Comment